Starting on Windows 11 build 22538, you can now enable an early preview of the new Task Manager that brings a new design using rounded corners, mica material, and new iconography that matches the new design language we have seen across the latest version of the OS available through the Windows Insider Program.
This guide will teach you the steps to turn on the new Task Manager hidden in the Latest insider preview of Windows 11 from the Dev channel.
Enable new Task Manager design on Windows 11
To enable the new Task Manager on Windows 11 build 22538 or higher, use these steps:
- Open this GitHub website.
- Download the ViveTool-vx.x.x.zip file to enable the new Start menu.
- Double-click the zip folder to open it with File Explorer.
- Click the Extract all button.
- Click the Extract button.
- Copy the path to the folder.
- Open Start menu.
- Search for Command Prompt, right-click the top result, and select the Run as administrator option.
- Type the following command to navigate to the ViveTool folder and press Enter:
cd C:\FOLDER\PATH\ViveTool-v0.2.1 In the command remember to change the path to the folder with your path.
- Type the following command to enable the new Task Manager design on windows 11 and press Enter:
vivetool addconfig 35908098 2 vivetool addconfig 36898195 2 vivetool addconfig 37204171 2
Finally Restart the computer.
Once you complete the steps, the resigned Task Manager experience will be available on your installation of Windows 11.
While you can enable the experience, keep in mind that this is a very early build, which means that it is pretty buggy, almost nothing works, and the final design hasn’t been implemented.
that you don’t have the Windows 11 build 22538 on your computer, you need to enroll in the Dev Channel using the “Windows Insider Program” settings from the “Windows Update” section. Once you enroll the device in the program, you can download build 22538 from the “Windows Update” settings by clicking the Check for Updates button, and then you can follow the steps outlined above.
If you change your mind, you can revert the changes with the same instructions, but on step No. 10, make sure to use these commands:
vivetool delconfig 35908098 2, v
ivetool delconfig 36898195 2, and
vivetool delconfig 37204171 2, and then restart the computer.